Beyond the Workshop
The workshop was, in many ways, overwhelming. Not because of the amount of information presented, but because of how much thinking it demanded. Every session introduced concepts that were deeply rooted in philosophy, history, and social theory. There were discussions on rights, nationhood, solidarity, community, and many other ideas that carried significant weight. The content itself was valuable. In fact, I admired how much thought had been put into developing the modules. Yet I often found myself processing not only what was being taught but how it was being taught.
As someone involved in YATTA, facilitation has always mattered to me. Because of that background, I naturally observed the process as much as the content. Throughout the workshop, I noticed moments where the facilitators seemed to be delivering information rather than facilitating learning. Instead of creating opportunities for participants to construct meaning together, many sessions felt closer to lectures or presentations where knowledge was transmitted in one direction.
There is nothing inherently wrong with academic discussions. In fact, I genuinely appreciated the richness of the concepts that were introduced. However, I kept asking myself whether the language and approach were accessible enough for everyone in the room. Our participants came from different backgrounds. Some were university students who were already comfortable with theoretical language, while others were senior high school students or individuals with different lived experiences. Yet the discussions often remained within an academic vocabulary that not everyone could easily navigate.
I found myself wondering what would happen if someone had never encountered these concepts before. Would they still feel included? Would they still feel confident enough to participate? Or would they quietly convince themselves that everyone else understood better than they did?
This became even more apparent during discussions. The people who consistently answered were usually those who were already comfortable with academic language. Their responses were insightful, but I also noticed that many participants remained silent throughout the sessions. I do not believe silence always means people have nothing to say. Sometimes, silence is a sign that the environment has not yet become safe enough for people to speak.
For me, creating a learning space goes beyond asking questions. It means building an atmosphere where participants feel that their thoughts, experiences, and even unfinished ideas are welcome. Looking back, I think this was one of the biggest gaps I experienced. I longed for a space where people could process aloud, connect the discussions to their own lives, or even express confusion without worrying about whether their thoughts were "correct."Perhaps because that space was difficult to find during the sessions, Kent and I naturally developed our own process. After almost every activity, during meals, before sleeping, or whenever there was free time, we found ourselves discussing everything we had heard. We unpacked ideas together, questioned assumptions, and challenged one another's interpretations. Those conversations became just as meaningful as the formal sessions because they allowed us to process what we had not yet fully understood.
Ironically, some of my deepest learning happened outside the scheduled program.
One realization that stayed with me throughout the workshop was the difference between understanding ideas and embodying them. Many participants demonstrated an impressive grasp of the concepts being discussed. They could define terms, explain theories, and respond thoughtfully to the facilitators' questions. Yet I often wished we had heard more personal stories moments where people connected those ideas to their own lives, communities, or struggles.
Knowledge becomes more meaningful when it is lived. Definitions matter, but lived experiences give those definitions life. I found myself searching not only for intellectual understanding but also for authenticity.
There were, however, facilitators whose approaches deeply resonated with me.
I particularly appreciated Kuya Lawrence's way of facilitating discussions. His sessions gradually built ideas from simple concepts toward more complex ones. Rather than overwhelming participants immediately, he patiently established foundations before introducing broader perspectives. It reminded me of how meaningful learning often happens one idea carefully connected to another until a larger picture begins to emerge.
I also had the opportunity to speak with Kuya Elvin after the workshop. That conversation became one of the highlights of my experience. Unlike many of the brief exchanges I had with others, our discussion felt open enough for genuine dialogue. I shared some of my reflections regarding audience sensitivity, facilitation, and the action planning process. In return, he explained the reasoning behind their design decisions and shared that many of the modules had already been contextualized based on their intended participants.
Although we did not agree on everything, I appreciated having the chance to understand their perspective. That conversation reminded me that facilitators themselves are also learners who continuously reflect on and improve their practice.
One aspect that continued to occupy my thoughts was the action planning activity.
Initially, I struggled to understand how participants could move from broad discussions about society and narratives toward concrete community action within such a limited amount of time. Twenty minutes felt insufficient to explore multiple possibilities, examine their feasibility, and think critically about their potential impact. Naturally, many groups settled on the first workable idea that emerged.
When Kuya Elvin explained that their approach treated the projects as experiments rather than final solutions, I understood their intention better. They viewed action as something that could be tested, evaluated, and improved over time.
Even so, I found myself wondering whether experimentation alone was enough justification. Community work asks people to invest time, resources, energy, and trust. Because of that, I believe careful reflection before implementation is equally important. While experimentation encourages innovation, thoughtful planning honors the communities we hope to serve.
Another observation that quietly stayed with me concerned embodiment beyond the sessions themselves.
Heroes Hub speaks passionately about advocacy, community, and social responsibility. These values inspired me. Yet I also noticed small organizational practices such as the use of disposable materials that made me pause. They were seemingly minor details, yet they reminded me that advocacy is often communicated as much through everyday actions as through workshop content.
Perhaps this reflection says more about me than about the organizers. I have always believed that people learn most deeply from what we model rather than what we explain.
Despite these questions, I never felt that the workshop was a failure.
Quite the opposite.
One of the greatest gifts Heroes Hub gave me was something I had not expected at all.
For the first time in a long while, I allowed myself to simply become a student again.
I did not facilitate.
I did not organize.
I did not lead.
I listened.
I questioned.
I reflected.
I observed.
As someone who often takes responsibility during community activities, remaining only as a participant felt unfamiliar. Yet that unfamiliarity became refreshing. It reminded me of the younger version of myself the student who loved asking questions, connecting ideas, and allowing curiosity to guide learning.
Some of the questions I carried home remain unanswered even now. Strangely, I am grateful for that. Those unanswered questions continue to make me think, evaluate, and revisit my own assumptions about facilitation, education, and community engagement.
Most importantly, Heroes Hub became a mirror through which I also reflected on YATTA.
Throughout the workshop, I found myself comparing approaches, not to determine which was better, but to understand how different organizations embody their own philosophies. Seeing another way of facilitating community learning helped me appreciate the practices that shaped me while also recognizing areas where all of us, regardless of organization, continue to grow.
In the end, I realized that meaningful workshops are not measured solely by how much information participants remember. They are measured by the conversations they continue having long after the sessions end.
Heroes Hub challenged me. It overwhelmed me. It frustrated me at times. Yet it also awakened something within me that had been quietly waiting to be rediscovered.
It reminded me that learning is not always comfortable. Sometimes, learning begins when we encounter ideas that resist easy answers.
Looking back, I remain deeply thankful for the opportunity to participate. I met passionate facilitators, thoughtful participants, and perspectives that were different from my own. Those differences pushed me to think more critically, reflect more honestly, and appreciate the complexity of community work.
If there is one realization I carry forward, it is this: knowledge becomes transformative not simply when it is taught, but when people feel safe enough to question it, connect it to their own lives, embody it through action, and continue the conversation long after the workshop has ended.
As I continue my journey as a YAV, I realize that formation is not measured by how many answers I gain, but by my willingness to remain teachable. Perhaps God forms us not only through the communities we serve, but also through the questions that continue to shape our hearts long after the conversations have ended.




Comments
Post a Comment